If you are interested in education as a profession and want to strategically invest your passion, MTR is a great option for you. On top of being strategic, it is a fully scholarshipped Masters Degree that provides housing assistance and a stipend!
Did I mention they guarantee a job!
The Memphis Teacher Residency is a Memphis-only non-profit organization whose mission is to recruit, equip and retain excellent teachers to work in Memphis’ urban areas where the need for strong educators is most critical. MTR is a Memphis-only partnership involving the MTR, Union University and local urban schools.
More about MTR:
Entrance into the Memphis Teacher Residency program is available to both education and non-education college graduates, and offers the following benefits:
- Masters of Arts in Urban Education through Union University (tuition provided)
- Intensive classroom experience within Memphis’ urban schools
- State of Tennessee Educator License
- $12,000 stipend for the 12 month training period
- Participant /cohort fellowship and community
- Job placement within a Memphis urban school
- On-going evaluation and mentoring
We estimate the 12 month training program represents $30,000 in education and living costs. This amount is awarded to each participant in the form of a loan. The loan may be repaid through 3 years of service in a Memphis urban school. For every one year of service, we will forgive 1/3 of the loan. After three years of service, the entire balance will be forgiven.
Starting salaries for educators in Memphis urban schools are approximately $40,000 per year.