There is a good discussion happening about the unreached potential of Memphis. If you think Memphis could be better, you are not alone.
Jeff Speck made 12 suggestions last week and they are well discussed on The Gates of Memphis blog.
Here are the 12. the first 6 he calls general suggestions, the last 6 he calls specific suggestions.
- Build Memphis for Humans, Not Just for Cars.
- Stop Demolishing Your Economic Advantage
- Plant Trees.
- Organize Neighborhoods Around Schools, Around Neighborhoods
- Fix Downtown First
- Practice Urban Triage
- Fix the 3rd Street Promenot
- Fill the Main/South Main Knuckle
- You Deserve an Urban Waterfront
- Build the Missing Monument
- Stop the Outer Loop
- Put Cars Back on Main Street for $50k.
What is interesting about #3 is the number of trees in Memphis. I think, unless my information is wrong, Memphis has more trees than any other major city in the US. If you don’t believe, go up to the top of Clark Tower and see for yourself. (Ain’t that right Chris.)
There is also a vibrant discussion going on in his comments about whether cars should return to Main Street or not. If you notice, #1 and #12 seem to be at odds with each other on his list.